Sunday, January 8, 2017

HOT AND COLD

Monday, January 2, 2017
I was sick again last night. I keep wondering...is it a bug or food poisoning? I'm not sure I want to know.


Ken left super-early this morning to go to Lawton for training for his new job. This meant Jonathan had to wake me up (on the last sleep-in day of my break) to take him to Walgreens by 7:00 a.m. Oh well. I managed to sneak in a little hour nap later.

It didn't mean that I didn't get anything done.  There was laundry, dishes, and Seminary study. I also spent time listening to more Deseret Book music from Michele. I think I'd like to listen to more uplifting music this year to encourage the Spirit...and my soul!

Ken came home with more news about his first little "word" trip at the end of January - to a Disney resort in Florida! Rub it in, why don'tcha!  Next year, I'm going with!

Tuesday, January 3, 2017
I don't know what it is about sleeping lately, but I've been so off. I needed it last night, because I went back to Seminary today. But Jonathan was out late and I didn't know if he had a ride or was going to walk across town to get home, etc. Nervous mama stuff. He got a ride; he was fine, but I went to bed and got to sleep very late. That's got to stop!


It was just me and Analiese again for most of the day. She's finishing up on the last semester, just in time to start the new one next week! While she worked on that, I washed towels, studied for Seminary, and made a pot of split pea soup for everyone's dinner. Oh, and spent some time on the phone with my mom!

After the long weekend, I had a lot on my cart at the library. Plus, the Head Librarian had been doing some shelf re-arranging in my sections (which meant I had to rearrange my brain) and I had several patrons seeks me out for help. Bustling to begin with, but quieted later on.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017
Rats! On top of in-and-out sleeping last night, my phone alarm did NOT go off and I awoke...at 7:45! AAAACCCCKKK! After a hasty apologetic texts to my Seminary students and parents, I got up shamefacedly to start the day over two hours later than needed. Time to use a real alarm clock, I think. My phone just hasn't been reliable as an alarm.

Surprisingly, the rest of the day was not bad. After taking Jonathan to work, I actually planted the amaryllis that Ken gave me for Christmas alongside some I bought off the clearance cart at Atwoods. I put them all in the front planter in a corner. We'll see how they turn out.

I had a sad chore today at the library. I had to take down the Christmas display case. It had turned out surprisingly wonderful with the packages and books. It's depressing have to tear down all that work and cuteness. But it's a new month and a new year. Time for a change.

Thursday, January 5, 2017
Today is cold. Seriously. The high school's display said that the temperature as I was leaving Seminary was 25 degrees. I'd only taken my sweater and it was not enough. I wore my jacket taking Jonathan to work - it was 31 degrees on the Walgreens sign - still too cold. I think I'll have to take a coat and gloves tonight...which will stun the library staff since they think I'm always roasting (it's true).

In fact, I paraded my winter ensemble to the ladies before heading to my locker so as to prove to them that it is actually possible for me to get cold. They were delighted!

It was a quiet, cold night. Most people stayed home out of the cold and the impending snowstorm. I spent 45 minutes of my time talking to the Library Director about my future at the library. She'd love to have me eventually move up into a key position. But, to do that, I'll need to get my Master's Degree in Library Science. With the kids getting older (and leaving...but don't think about that!), I need to start figuring what to do with myself. This is a good option.

Friday, January 6, 2017
First thing after my alarm went off this morning, I checked the weather online and out the door (the two don't necessarily agree). Cold, but no snow. Snow is on the radar - how soon? How much? Altus schools are NOT closed, only delayed. So...Seminary!


I had only one intrepid student; everyone else bailed. I understand one of them, her brother got home just last night from his mission and their grandparents are in town for the event. But the others? Still, I had a nice one-on-one lesson from the brave student.

The snow started falling while we were in class. Getting out of the building, it was just beginning to lightly dust everything.
I don't have boots. I wear socks with my sandals to keep my toes from frostbite!
The school sign said the temperature was 18 degrees!
 It kept coming down for about four hours...1 1/2 inches.
Not a lot, but more than we've seen in a long time. Ken came home from Lawton early, braving slick roads with not-so-great visibility.

And we went out in it! Ken - knowing how nervous I get driving in it - took me grocery shopping after we dropped Jonathan off at his work.  Then after shopping he took me and Analiese out to dinner, early. Before the sun went down. His tires did not want to grip the road well. I was never so happy to get home safely!

Saturday, January 7, 2017
Yes, I still had to go to work. At 9 a.m., it was 11 degrees! The main roads in town were fairly clean, but the residential streets were more like ice rinks!  And, yes, people were crazy enough to go out in it! I had to.... But I thought for sure we'd be dead quiet; the numbers yesterday during the storm were WAY down. Nope. They kept on coming.


People would call to ask if we were open (I later learned that the base library was closed yesterday and today). I'd tell them yes, but suggest they waited until the temperatures warmed up and the road de-iced some. As it was, I had some elderly people come in my doors. One in particular had a cane. I was incredulous! "Why did you come out in the ice? It's so dangerous!" The Dude said it made him angry. Not because it made us busy, he'd prefer it that way, but because it was so dangerous and we like our patrons.

I did NOT go home for lunch (nobody did). I wasn't going to brave the ice rink roads until I had to go home. I forgot to pick up a prescription yesterday and thought about getting it today. Nope. It will wait till Monday. I have enough pills to last until then. No ice, no way.

I did get to work some on the January display cases. I finished the New Year's one: New Year, New You.
It's okay, not as nice or flashy as the December cases. I started on the other but ran out of paper. It'll have to wait for Monday. Like everything else.

Sunday, January 8, 2017
The snow is melting rapidly in the warming day. Only shady areas are still locked in ice. I avoid those areas. Now, they are talking about a big ice storm next weekend. Please, no!

A young man is home from his mission and this was his first Sunday back. His family is glad, as is Jonathan. But his dad, bearing proud, teary testimony, set me off today. Jonathan, for once, didn't tease.

Jonathan had his temple recommend interview with the Stake President today. It hit him today that there will be a lot to learn in the temple. That, my son, will be a life-long education.

Ken ended up taking the Honda to Walmart this afternoon to fix a flat tire. What with him going to Lawton and me going to Seminar and the library, we really can't afford to be down a car. This was a case of getting the ox out of the mire!


No comments:

Post a Comment