Sunday, November 6, 2016

TWO WEEKS VISIT FROM CALIFORNIA

Monday, October 24, 2016
It was so terribly warm in the library at first this morning. Luckily, a city electrician came and by afternoon the a/c was working...at least in the library proper. The back rooms were still awful!

I had my first performance review today. I had to tell the Head Librarian where certain non-fiction books were listed in the Dewey Decimal System. I guessed...right! Not like I studied or memorized, I just thought about where those books were when I put them away. All-in-all, she says I'm doing great!


I asked two things of the Head Librarian today. One, could I vacuum in the library before we open on Monday mornings because the floor is gruesome. We only have one older gentleman doing janitorial/gardening stuff for us and at least two other city buildings. Things like vacuuming don't get done often enough. I was getting a little grossed out because of the dead crickets accumulating on the carpet.

The other thing was, could I do the display cases? We have two as people enter the library lobby area and she always seems so busy. She was glad to say yes to both requests. I intend to have more fun with the cases, though.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016
The morning was spent in last-minute details to get ready for my parents. They're flying out today!

Work was pretty normal. Except (as usual) my big mouth/crazy brain has gotten me in trouble. Now, besides the Monday vacuuming, the Head Library is having me (and the Dude - sorry!) clean off bookshelves. See, nobody's doing that either; and some of it is dirty and gross. The price I pay for being helpful and efficient, I guess.

I got home from work to find my folks there. It was much earlier than Dad's 10 p.m. prediction, for which I was grateful. Otherwise, I might have ended up in bed even later than 10:30 and Seminary still calls in the morning! As it was, it took me a while to get to sleep on the air mattress.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016
Apparently, Analiese had a hard time sleeping last night, too, due to the heavy breathing and snoring by her parents on her floor. Sorry!


I was so tired and dragged out today, with the teaching, studying, and taking care of stuff at home. Just sitting down to relax and talk with Mom made me want to doze off. I hope I sleep better tonight.

My parents get to enjoy the kids alone tonight, well, at least until Analiese leaves for Young Women's. Ken and I both have work. But after their long day of travel yesterday, I can't imagine them being too energetic to do much.

Thursday, October 27, 2016
I had two girls absent today in Seminary. Things didn't seem to be going well, either, with either sleepyheads or devil's advocates. I had figured class was a washout until one student earnestly thanked me for the good lesson as he was leaving. Those little boosts keep me going...


My father doesn't seem inclined to take it easy on his "vacation." No moss grows on that rolling stone! He went to the gym while I was at Seminary and to city pool later that morning. Then, he went shopping with Mom and Jonathan, came back and fixed the bathroom door, bedroom door, and front door! I think we finally tired him out...he was napping when I left for work.

There was a Halloween luncheon at the library today. I made caramel apple cider which I took in my crockpot. It is so good! Now that tastes like fall!

Friday, October 28, 2016
Jonathan had carved a small pumpkin for me last night for Seminary this morning. To introduce our devotional theme for the next week, I brought up the parable of the pumpkin, which pretty much ended in "let your light so shine before men." Then I gave them a copy of the story with some candy pumpkins. I don't know about them, but I thought it was cute.

Ken had the day off today, so we made a trip up towards Lawton to the Wichita Wildlife Reserve. The day was lovely, sunny, with a cool breeze.
The buffalo didn't come close, but we saw plenty of prairie dogs (their funny little tails bounce when they run)
and even had a traffic jam of longhorn cattle (including calves) hold us up while they crossed.
Mom really loved seeing that.


Their Visitors' Center was interesting as ever and it hit me...my family (Ken, the kids & I) are a funny group who love to laugh and be silly. We got especially crazy in the gift shop.
This one's for Karla & ME...


Dad and Mom were ahead of us, looking at stuff and we were goofing off. And I loved that moment...we're a great family!

Dad treated us to lunch in Lawton at the Santa Fe Cattle Company.
We've been there several times and really like it. I had a great baked potato soup and a club sandwich with a chipotle mayonnaise.

Back in Altus, we had to get busy. Jonathan had work and we had to prepare for the ward Halloween party and dinner. I made a great salad (spinach, green apples, craisins, walnuts, feta cheese & raspberry vinaigrette)  and cheesy chile cornbread muffins. None of what I brought made it home. The muffins (a new recipe) were particularly good and very moist.

Analiese looked awesome in her costume. She put it together herself, being very creative. She was a (her words) a Victorian steampunk goth. Still, it looked great and she seemed so elegant and regal.

Saturday, October 29, 2016
I set up a pork roast in the crockpot before heading out to the library this morning. We're going to all (yes, all six of us!) have a nice sit-down dinner this evening.


I was so tired at work today, even though I slept well last night. After lunch, I felt even worse! I wanted a nap! Ken - my sweetheart - saved me around 4 p.m. with a Dr. Pepper. Good thing, because it carried me thought the rest of work and home to get dinner on the table. Ken and Jonathan helped and it all went off well. It tasted good!

However, I let them handle dishes. I needed to work on next week's Seminary. No matter how tired, busy, or full of visits, that still has to get done.

Sunday, October 30, 2016
Sacrament meeting was full today for the Primary program. Lots of grandparents, aunts, and uncles came to see the kids.


The bishop was very sentimental today. It started with him telling me warmly that Jonathan is READY - spiritually - to go. Then, during the third hour, he taught about fasting and serving the less fortunate, getting emotional. He's really a good bishop.

I got in a good nap this afternoon. It was well needed. I've been exhausted. Then, I made part of Analiese's birthday cake for tomorrow and normal Seminary preparation. In between visiting with my parents....

Monday, October 31, 2016
The library was very quiet for a Monday. We had a few kids to pass out non-edible (bookmarks, erasers, pencils, plastic rings) to.


All the desk people dressed up. I was a generic Halloween thing - I had a jack-o'lantern t-shirt, Halloween scarf, earrings, and a orange with black polka dots hat. But, the best of all was the Dude - who was a lobster. His foam costume seriously hampered his movements. I took advantage of this, asking him to do things for me so I could see him trying to write or work on the computer around the claws. Did I laugh!

At home, we celebrated Analiese's birthday early since my parents are here. We had chicken and dumplings that Ken had put together yesterday, and the caramel toffee poke cake that Analiese adores. I think she was pleased with dinner and the gifts later. She got a watch with matching bracelets and an Amazon gift certificate from the grandparents, and a stuffed penguin phone holder from us.

We'll be taking her to the movies at a later date as a present.

We had ONE single trick-or-treater.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016
My parents left with my children for Oklahoma City right when I left for Seminary. They wanted to be there at the zoo right when it opened so they could get scooters. The grandparents, not my kids, thank you. Ken and I followed after I'd returned home. We went at a leisurely pace, enjoying the weather and time together.

It was such a lovely day. Bright, but not too warm, and with a gentle breeze. The zoo wasn't crowded either, and we could go where we pleased.

ZOO HIGHLIGHTS:
The yawning otter.
A red-tailed hawk (not enclosed in a cage) sitting on a nearby tree branch.
Trees turning autumn colors.
Baby giraffe.
A python feeding on a rabbit (Hey! It was cool!)

On the way home, we stopped in Lawton (yes, again, it's convenient) for dinner at Panda Express. Ken tries to get there whenever he can - he loves Chinese! Getting home at a decent time, we all went to be early...but happy!

Wednesday, November 2, 2016
I took Mom with me this morning to get the CD of pictures from our family photo shoot. Then I drove her around town, showing her the reservoir and visiting the library. There, she met my boss and co-workers.

Later, when I got to work, the first thing they had me do was put up the display cases for November. The Genealogy workshop was tonight and they didn't want the cases empty. I was able to get one done (enough, apparently) for when people first enter the library. This one was for National Aviation month. I even hung clouds of batting in there.
Not bad for my first time.

As the sun set, the storm rolled in. People bravely came for the workshop and another meeting that was being held. But...I didn't bring an umbrella (figures)! We had quite the electric show outside, but no loss of power inside. At closing, I ran to my van, bag zipped so as not to drench everything!

Thursday, November 3, 2016
We had planned on going up to Quartz Mountain today for a picnic. But one look at Mom's swollen feet told me maybe we ought to stay home. Plus, having rained last night, we couldn't have enjoyed a picnic anyway. Instead, we had a take-it-easy kind of morning.

I did the second display case this evening. I only had a few books on Thanksgiving (?), so I did half of the case as Thanksgiving, and the other half as National Native American Month. Since Oklahoma is full of Native American tribes, this wasn't hard to fill. It turned out well, at least that's what my co-workers say!



Friday, November 4, 2016
This morning was a flurry of packing plus double-checking to make sure everything was going back to California that should! Before I even let my folks walk out the door, I had everyone check and double-check all the rooms!

They wanted to leave for the Will Rogers Airport (OKC) at noon, so Ken and I took them out to one last lunch at Arby's (which apparently is no longer prevalent in California and Dad has missed it). Then, they were off. The house seems emptier, but at least I think everyone had a nice visit.

Ken had the day off, so we spent most of the afternoon banking and shopping, coming home in time to take Jonathan to Walgreens. The plumber came by later (Dad had arranged it) and fixed a few toilet/pipe issues that had been spotted.

I had some Seminary work to do, but I was actually able to sit down with Ken this evening and watch a program with him.

Saturday, November 5, 2016
Somehow, my  alarm for this morning was switched OFF. I woke up half an hour later than I should (thankfully it was no more than that) and ended up rushing out the door to be at the library on time.

The Dude wasn't here today. It was me, a cataloger, and the researcher, who was running a bit late. It meant I spent most of my day behind the desk. I didn't get much floor work done, but it was a relaxing, easy day. I even had a patron give me a banana today. Yes, a banana. A nice one, too, not all spotty and mushy. I wonder how she kept it so well in her bag?

The weather (I think) has FINALLY decided to act like Autumn. It rained again sometime last night and it is overcast and cool. People are a little more bundled up. Not me. I like this weather and am perfectly comfortable.

Jonathan got an email from the Stake President today. "Have you received your call? If not, it's in the mail!" I guess he can see on his computer the status of submitted missionary paperwork. Ahhhhh....EXCITING! We should probably have it by Monday or Tuesday next week!

As part of Analiese's birthday, Jonathan & I took her to see Dr. Strange. Her YW President & husband coincidentally sat behind us! Still, we had a great time and got home early enough to get a good night's sleep (setting our clocks back first - free hour!)

Sunday, November 6, 2016
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY GIRL! Hard to believe, but my little girl is fourteen. You know, I remember it raining the day she was born...

Because it's raining out there today. Not just tinkley-sprinkleys, like Ken says. Nope, Real, fill the gutters and the roads rain. And, sadly, both of my kids aren't feeling well. Analiese has been fighting allergies and stuff all week and Jonathan was complaining all last evening of a sore throat. Apparently he spent a rough night (I'm guessing from all the Kleenex strewn by his bed). I'm not taking them out sick. They'll stay home and I'll go to church.

Church was wonderful today. The Spirit was strong with testimonies, hymns, and just overall revelations. Despite the rain, despite sitting by myself, I was filled. I enjoyed a funny interlude in the women's bathroom as I tried (with a visitor) to fill the paper towel dispenser. It took between us at least ten minutes, but we left laughing and friends.

A cold, wet rainy day is perfect for napping. Says I. The kids are still sick, so I had no demands on my time. Sounded like nap time for me! I had a cozy one, too. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment