Sunday, February 18, 2018

BYE-BYE, ALTUS!

Monday, February 12, 2018
It took me three tries on my laptop to hook up to my online class this morning. It went smoothly once I did, but afterward, nothing else wanted to work. More internet problems?

I'm still a little light-headed and woozy from yesterday. But my stomach seems to have settled. Shh! I'm still being very cautious.

We're in the wrap-up stages of our move. most stuff that we don't need immediately is gone or packed in the van. Ken went through the garage and I sorted all the keys (this house just kind of breeds them - all weird kinds) to get ready to hand them over to our property manager on Saturday.

The last thing we did today was clean the carpets. I should say, ken did it with Analiese's assistance (she was the go-to girl with the bucket). I wasn't up to pushing around a heavy, water-and-chemical laden machine. I did turn off the heat, open the windows, and set all the ceiling fans whirling. He finished up, and we all left to let it dry.

Analiese and I were invited to spend the night with our ward friends, the Box's. She's from Mexico so, to Analiese's delight, we had an authentic meal. Analiese got introduced to crema Mexicana, Choliula (hot sauce) and lime juice over everything. Me, it brought back some great mission memories. We had family home evening with them and just relaxed. I was glad to have a night where I could spend some time with friends and didn't have to think or worry about moving.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018
Considering it was a strange bed in a strange house, I didn't sleep too badly. But Analiese and I were up and out at 6:15 a.m., walking through the dark house as the rest of them slept.

After Seminary, we went back to their house to rest and study before heading to the library. The Box's were already gone, busy with their own schedules! Still, I was grateful to come back (I snuck in a little nap) for a few private minutes before going on my busy way!

Day #1 of my last 3 days at work: My primary goal this week is to get as much done as I can. I don't want to leave too much work on my boss's hands. They've been interviewing people for my position, but until they hire and train one, she's got the lion's share of the work!

I had to take my dinner hour at 3:30 this afternoon so as to meet the plumber and square out this problem with the line. He got it taken care of right away (the culprit - clay pipes and a low-water toilet), during which time I went over the house, closing windows, turning off fans, and checking the carpets all over. Verdict? Lookin' good. One step closer, friends. This is really happening!

Wednesday, February 14, 2018
Happy Valentine's Day! Ken beat me to texting it to each other this morning at 6:00 a.m. (C'mon, why is HE up so early?)He got the card I'd tucked into his clean laundry. He has something for me, but it's waiting for me in Chickasha.

This morning we headed to the library at nine to meet with her teacher for the last time in Altus. Don't worry, he's going to see us in Chickasha. I told him I don't want anyone else. He's worked so hard to get her math scores up and has fought for her in the system. I don't want to give that up!

Day #2 of my last work week.
The Library Director brought Valentine cookies!
I kept trying to work on my books. Everyone kept distracting me with other projects or silly things. My boss bought Analiese her own Squashmallow animal - a panda - and the process was so funny. My boss put it on the corner of her desk, hoping Analiese would say something, which she never did. I kept trying to point it out to her, but she got annoyed...she was busy doing schoolwork! We thought we were going to have to take it and throw it at her head! Finally, we pretty much begged her to go over and read the note my boss had attached. She was thrilled, but seriously, what work just to get it to her!
Analiese sleeping on her panda.

Thursday, February 15, 2018
I knew today would not be easy. Not emotionally.

It started with Analiese at Seminary. Her teacher, in her honor, made breakfast for the class: biscuits and gravy, a line of hot plates! That was amazing, and so sweet!

But that was nothing compared to what I faced at work. I fidgeted nervously before I got there; I fidgeted worse after. They had a nice luncheon of sandwiches, chips, soda and cake.

There were many warm wishes and people I'd invited to join us came.

Still, I had work to do...and I tried. I was easily distracted, I'm afraid. The sister missionaries came by in the late afternoon (I'd invited them) and we sat and talked as they ate for a good bit of time. I jokingly told my boss afterward that she could fire me today!

Both the director and my boss wrote letters of recommendation for me and a gal who's been doing Altus history research for the museum and has been in the back with me evenings gave me a cute metal mailbox that reminded me of my February door decoration!

Saying goodbye as people left for the end of shifts was hard. I cried. I've come to really care for them; it's the end of an era...for me. I expected my boss to be the hardest, but she put me off until tomorrow. She's taking me to lunch. Prolonging the inevitable is more like it!

Friday, February 16, 2018

I think I woke up shortly after eight o'clock. I felt very well-rested. Analiese woke up (with a little help from her mother) at 8:30. After Devotional, she started on her math class and lessons and I got on with a little laundry and wrapping up more.

Ken and Jonathan arrived at 10:45 and the work began in earnest. They made sure that the last minute outdoor work was done: all the trash was picked up and the leaves raked.

I met my ex-boss (now) for lunch shortly after noon. She told me she would start training my replacement this afternoon. Our goodbyes were positive and not very emotional; if she had done it yesterday, I would have. Today, I'm too busy. We are good enough friends now that we will keep in touch (thank goodness for Facebook!) and see each other from time to time.

The afternoon and evening was filled with last-minute cleaning, taking things apart (like beds), and making runs to Walmart for things we need to do so (like tools) and no longer have HERE.

Saturday, February 17, 2018
I can, at least, say that one of the busiest days in memory began with a shower and breakfast. If you call a banana breakfast. Which I do.

We squeezed in Devotional before Ken and Jonathan set out for U-Haul to get the moving truck. Before they even got back, ward members started showing up to help. My final count was at least eight people helping, one of whom cleaned up the dusty mess that was under my bed for me! It was nice because I got to say goodbye to some ward members (cuz I missed them by being sick last Sunday).

All did NOT go according to plan, though. Upon disconnecting the washing machine, we discovered the hot water pipe leaking a lot! The bathtub wasn't draining, either, but this was a bigger problem. We shut off the water and made a frantic call to the plumbers. They showed up just as we got the truck finished, so Ken and the kids went off and I sat waiting for the guys to fix both. They got it done, thankfully, quickly. I had to clean up afterwards, though, and left about an hour behind the others, stopping to drop off the keys at the property manager's.

Things got unloaded fairly quickly, with us and the sister missionaries (I knew they'd be there!). Ken was able to take the truck back before the local U-Haul closed. I just stared at the mess, unsure where to start!

We didn't spend much time on worry, though, but set up the beds and pulled out the necessities from the special boxes I'd packed for to last us through the next couple of days until I get my act together. Then Ken and I headed to Norman to the Institute for the annual "Evening with a General Authority" broadcast and a dinner provided by the Norman stake for seminary and institute teachers and their spouses. They had catered Ted's Escondido (a popular Mexican restaurant chain here) and we really enjoyed getting to know the Norman stake teachers (having mainly known the Lawton stake ones before). Elder D. Todd Christopherson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles spoke about truth. It was a fascinating talk that will leave me thinking and researching for quite a while!

Sunday, February 18, 2018
Church was interesting today, mainly because I was so terribly tired. I could hardly keep my eyes open and by the end of it all, I had a raging headache. Sorry.
Kids walking into the Chickasha Branch building.

The branch (not a ward, too small) members were all very nice. They were happy that Ken finally had his wife with him and apparently he'd been talking. Everyone else in the family had been to the branch before and knew their way around, so I was the only one who needed shepherding!

You can bet, though, that after church, I took my nap! After a little lunch, that is. I hadn't had any protein today and I'm sure that had added to my headache!

I awoke from my nap to find the house strangely quiet aside from the wind that had picked up outside, whistling around the house. Ken was asleep on the sofa, Jonathan was at work, and Analiese was dozing on the floor in her room. If it weren't for the chaos of moving boxes around us, I would have thought it one of those perfectly serene Sunday afternoons!

Ken awoke from his nap and, like a sweetie, he got the dresser set up in the bedroom and put up the dining table. Now I have a place to eat on and work on!

No comments:

Post a Comment