Sunday, October 25, 2015

CHAOS

Monday, October 19, 2015
Rise and shine - it's 7 o'clock and two high priests are at my door.  Jonathan let them in, then went into our bedroom to wake Ken and myself (no Seminary today).  Time for us to get up and go to work - Ken with the brethren on the roof, me taking Jonathan to school and clearing out the laundry room with Analiese.

That was all it was today - work, work, work.  Ken on the house, me with moving stuff around into every nook and cranny I could find.  I also went to the laundrymat, worked on my Seminary lesson, picked up Jonathan, and went grocery shopping.  Then I cooked dinner, such as it was (frozen burritos) and served dinner in my living room around the coffee table.

Still, I don't compare my fatigue to Ken's.  He was dirty, tired and hungry.  They'd torn off the old roof and nearly finished the decking.  In the meantime, the electrician finished fixing the power, called the inspector and got the city to turn our power back on.  Let there be light!  I can't tell you how happy that made me!

Tuesday, October 20, 2015
This time I beat all of the builders...I was up at 5:25!  I almost toyed with the idea of arising earlier because of all the preparation I needed for Seminary today, but it was a fleeting temptation.  I like my sleep.

We had our lesson about the Passover today, and my lesson included some of the items involved in the seder (feast).  I set up a table to look nice, like it would for Passover, with a table linen, goblets (of grape juice) and a large white marble platter to hold bitter herbs (parsley), unleavened bread (pita crisps) and "lamb" (jerky).  I also put up two candles (unlit, per church fire insurance), because I know candles are usually included in the celebration.  I also made charoset, an apple and walnut dish, that is part of the traditional Passover, but not part of the Exodus one.  I just did it for fun, to get them in the spirit of things.

We talked about the symbolism of each of the Passover foods, starting with the parsley.  The kids were NOT thrilled to eat it, but did so gamely, as did I.  After a few chews, that stuff gets, well, bitter.  I wouldn't let them get a drink of water, though, because they had to eat the unleavened bread next.  The bread cut the bitterness of the herb.  See, the connection is this: The bitter herbs represent the bitterness of the Israelite bondage in Egypt...and sin.  The unleavened bread represents repentance, which cuts the bitterness of sin.  Get it?

I did not splurge and buy lamb; instead I splurged and bought jerky.  Obviously, the lamb represents Christ, and the blood of the lamb His Atonement.  I also likened the Passover to the Sacrament today, which Christ established in His day on the Passover before His Crucifixion.  I think it will be interesting to ponder on the Passover symbols the next time we take the Sacrament.

My house is a bigger mess than ever, if that can be believed.  Ken thought that the roofer could come tomorrow and start working, but they discovered that one spot where the roof of the original house meets the addition had more dry rot than expected, so that became the big chore of the day.  And the roofer probably won't be able to come before the rain storm expected on Thursday or Friday, so Ken, Bro. Whardo, and the missionaries spent most of the afternoon and into the early evening (before they lost the light) covering the roof with painters plastic (thick, heavy duty) to protect their handiwork.

Still, there's debris in the laundry room and the dining room and I won't even go outside.  I've told Analiese not to go into those areas barefoot - who knows what she could step on!

Wednesday, October 21, 2015
Another surprise; this morning, the roofers came.  We thought they wouldn't be here until next week. We're expecting rain.  But they've been here all day, pounding and using something that smells terrible (like nail polish) and gives me a headache.

And not thinking, I didn't pull out my van and had to ask the guys to move their two trucks and a trailer out of the driveway so I could pick up Jonathan.

It's definitely cotton pickin' time.  All along the highway, the balers are making bales all day long.  The streets are lined with white fluff and I've even seen strands float on the air.  I see these bales and wonder if I jumped on one of them, a) would it hold me, and b) how wonderfully soft would it be?  My party-poop kids say it'd have twigs and stuff in it.  Man, I thought it'd make a great place to take a nap!

Okay, I don't get irked easily, but this afternoon I got a bit hot under the collar.  The workers on my roof today decided they would pick some of my pecans.  Didn't ask, just did.  That was bad enough.  Then, after they had finished my roof, they were out there again, getting more.  On top of that, they took one of my buckets out of my garage and tried to fill it.  I told Ken and he called their boss.  They left soon afterward, leaving my bucket, but I'm sure with a bucketload of pecans.  If they had asked me, I would have said yes.  But they didn't ask; they just took them.  I called them rude, yet Jonathan called them thieves.  I had tried not to be so harsh, but he was right.  I try to be kind and generous; I don't like it when people try and take advantage of me.

Thursday, October 22, 2015
Big old storm and flood warning was issued yesterday.  Serious enough to make us glad to get the roof up yesterday, This morning, leaving for Seminary, it was only sprinkling and the roads looked only damp and there were no puddles.  So much for the storm.

Until I started driving for the church.  I only drive a few miles to the church (less than five minutes) and it starts to come down - heavy.  By the time I pull into the parking lot, it's banging loudly on the car and there's flashing thunder and lightning.  I had to dash (such as I could in my sandals and skirt) to the doors, skirt and bag getting soaked in the process.

It kept up all through Seminary and - trust me - by the time I got home (after another wetting), the first thing I did was check the roof.  Any leaks?  Thank heavens, NONE!  Ken checked later, then Analiese (we've grown a little paranoid), and still nothing.  We're looking high and dry.

Ken's not super-thrilled at his job right now.  He feels like the taskmaster over the slaves - whip them into shape!  I told him that if I were him, I'd ask his boss, "Uh, Pharaoh, what do I do about this Moses guy who keeps telling us to 'Let My people go!'?"  He thought that was pretty funny.  It's what comes of studying in Exodus for Seminary.

Tonight was 4H Rabbit Club meeting.  We had a pizza party, inviting all who helped with the Cotton Pickin' Chili Cook-off, so we had Jonathan come, too.  They had crafts and games for the kids. Analiese loves it when we have Rabbit Club parties, because she gets to play Twister!  It's her favorite game.  Jonathan even played a ring toss game, but then, Dr. Pepper was on the line.  For Ken, I'd made a big pot of chicken noodle soup with veggies.  It smelled so good, I didn't really want to leave for the Rabbit Club and have pizza. There's plenty left over, though, and it will taste even better tomorrow!



Friday, October 23, 2015
Brother Sturges visited Seminary (I didn't have to teach - he did it for me!).  The kids all love him and look up to him.  I don't mind...much.  Hey, I only wish I had his magic to get the kids to listen to me so raptly.  Still, it was great having him.  I enjoyed the visit as much as they did.

House work still going on.  The ceiling and mold damage are being tackled next.  It's a good thing I'm going to the doctor today.  My lungs hurt and breathing deep is hard...and painful.

So, I got shot today.  Well, I got A shot today.  After listening to my lungs, the doctor ordered a chest x-ray (for Monday) and had a nurse give me a shot of a steroid.  So now I have a sore right haunch, to put it delicately.

I got to have my dryer hooked up for a short time today, but it was enough to do laundry.  But by the time I got done with the doctor, picking up Jonathan from school, and making dinner, my sore self didn't want to put my clothes away.  That will have to wait for tomorrow.

Saturday, October 24, 2015
After my appointment yesterday, and through this morning, I thought, "Yes, the doctor wants me to get a chest x-ray on Monday, but, really?   Do I need it?  There's so many other things I have to do on Mondays.  What a hassle!"  Then the men got working on finishing removing molding ceilings, insulation, and parts of walls.  And I could not breathe.

Well, a little.  I got some air, but was gasping.  I finally went outside to take a walk, the wind outside might clear my lungs.  Really, I was a little scared.  I could hardly talk for coughing and gasping.  After my walk, I shut myself in a roof far away from the construction and rested, since I had no more air for exertion (I wonder if all this time I've thought I've been lazy, when really all this fatigue and whatever was just this stuff getting to me?).  Eventually they got the stuff out and put up new stuff and the air was much clearer (with the help of an ionizing air machine thingy).

Dinner's in the crockpot tonight.  When I was able to get close enough to actually be in the kitchen (which is right next to the construction area with only an open doorway between them), I cooked up some macaroni and mixed it with a bunch of cheesy stuff to go into the crockpot.  I told everyone that as they passed through the kitchen, press the stirring button on the top, to keep things mixed. Yes, my crockpot has a stirring mechanism in it (removable for things like roasts).  I have a very cool crockpot.

Analiese and I went outside for a short time to watch the sunset.  It was a little chilly, but the sky was clear and pretty. Being together is always an excuse for her to talk her head off, but it was a special time that we want to repeat.  Just, not too long.  In our flip-flops (we're still Californians), our toes got cold quickly.

Sunday, October 25, 2015
Today was Primary Program Sunday.  They were all very cute, but I had no more babies to participate.  A little bittersweet.  It was fun to watch them, we have some boys who can really belt those songs out!

Breathing a little better today, but still coughing some and am very tired.  More offers of help, though, which I greatly appreciate.  If others can clear out the dust and dirt so that I don't have to, all the better for my overstressed lungs!

As a Sabbath family activity today, the family decided to go walking around the reservoir.  It was a lovely day for it - 69 degrees, bright and sunny.  I didn't need a sweater at all!  However, the meaning of "walk" in our family is apparently up for interpretation.  For Jonathan it meant charging through and getting it over with - he marched ahead of us all.  Analiese and I were strollers who stopped to look at things or just talk (well, that's Analiese).  Ken was somewhere in between.

There were a few Canadian geese, but not the huge numbers that will be coming soon as the yearly migration gets started.  Then it will be quite a sight, because they number in the hundreds...in just one flock!

No comments:

Post a Comment