Monday, November 25, 2013

GIVING THANKS

Monday, November 25, 2013
I survived!  I drove Jonathan to Seminary in the ice and snow.  The major roads were fairly clear, and anything else, I just followed the tracks of cars before me.  Things are starting to melt, though, and there were many puddles in the road.  There aren't storm drains here like in California.  I'm not sure where the water goes...but I hope it goes where it's needed.

The kids shoveled the walks for me today.  I told them it was a service to the mailman, who was the most likely to walk down them.  They did a good job, too.  Jonathan takes to shoveling very well, it's the exercise his testosterone needs!

I took Jonathan to the airport today, so another foray into the ice and snow.  It's north of town, and we live in the south part of town, but it wasn't a problem, until we got to the school building.  That parking lot is a mess!  Part of the problem is the construction next door, which had them diverting the driveway, but that driveway isn't paved.  Also, it was full of snowy mush.  The parking lot is basically dirt with some gravel and isn't leveled, so I had to carefully maneouver in and around icy puddles to drop him off...and escape.

Coming back, I saw a truck with an eviserated deer in the back.  Ken says the proper term is "field dressed," but my way sounds so much more intelligent.  Still, it was interesting to see the inside of the deer's ribs.  I guess the guy wasn't worried about it spoiling, since the outside temperature was running between 30 and 33 degrees!

Tuesday, November 26, 2013
I got up early again to take Jonathan to Seminary.  We were just about ready to go when - BAM!  The power went out.  And I mean pitch black out.  I was in the kitchen, which only has a small window (the sun wasn't up anyway), and I just sat there until Jonathan, who was at his desk, found his flashlight, and we could go around finding lights and lanterns.  I finally got to use that kerosene lantern I bought from the Corona Ward for my emergency preparedness.  Mind, I spilled kerosene on my hand, but got it up and running - it makes a BRIGHT light.  The biggest problem for us, really, was going to be the cold, since the furnace is run on electricity.  If we had to, we could have hung out all day in my bedroom with my gas space heater.  Yes, the den/dining room has one, too, but it can't be closed off by doors so isn't as efficient.  It didn't stay off for long, it was back in an hour and a half.  Good, cuz I really didn't want to have to run the generator and move the fridge, freezer and microwave.

And even though we could have had yoga, we didn't.  I went, but nobody showed.  So I finally gave in.  I called the chiropractor and got an afternoon appointment.  With all of the missed aerobics and yoga, I feel just awful in my neck and back.  I've avoided going since May, but I've had it.  Plus, the hand neuropathy really has me bugged.  I went to the chiropractor nearest my home (a couple blocks away) to see if he could straighten me out.

He certainly made me snap-crackle-pop!  I'm going back next week, too, to see if it'll help more.  But after a serious pretzel twisting and quarterback sacking, I also know that I have to go home and ice myself.  I'm going to be sore for a bit!

Wednesday, November 27, 2013
I baked a pumpkin pie (well, took the store one out of the freezer and baked it) and made my spectacular cranberry cake for tomorrow.  I also brought out Mr. 21-lb. Tom to defrost in my ice chest with water, according to Saint Butterball.

Today was the local blood drive, so right after lunch, Jonathan, Analiese & I went to the Community Center to give (Analiese hangs out to talk to people).  I was a little nervous because my last donation had me dizzy and with ice packs on me and tons of liquid forced into me.  I scared them - and myself. I didn't do too bad this time.  I felt a slight dizziness during the process, but none at the end.  And I drank Gatorade afterward, just to make sure.  Jonathan did the aphoresis (sp?) machine, where they just took his red platelets.  It takes a little longer, but they really needed it.  They offered us t-shirts supporting local football (OU vs. OSU), but both of us just donated the cost of our shirts instead to the Global Blood Bank.  It seems silly and selfish to get a shirt when somebody needs blood.

The kids and I made cookie/chocolate turkeys for fun.  A fun mess, that is!  I am entirely sick of chocolate and the turkeys look...well...like they're in shell-shock.

The bread is out to dry for stuffing, the onion & celery is chopped, the sparkling juices are in the fridge, the house is cleaned and I picked up dessert plates today.  I don't feel stressed (well, for one, other people are brining other dishes) and think things are going on schedule.

Thursday, November 28, 2013
Nothing smells like Thanksgiving like butter, sage, and onions.  I used to always awake to it at my parents' house on Thanksgiving.  And while at that time I didn't eat stuffing (it's the only thing I really want now!), the smell of it was a certain kind of heaven.  Thus, my home this morning smells the same.

However, I'm not stuffing my turkey; I'm going to cook the stuffing (I guess I should call it dressing, then) in the oven.  I need my oven for a bunch of things so I need to get that turkey done.  I am cooking my turkey in an oven bag - a first for me.  It's still basted with ginger and butter; Ken wouldn't have it any other way.  I also purchased a digital thermometer that has a probe that I insert into the turkey.  It has an alarm that goes off when the turkey reaches that temperature.  Cool.

The Fletcher family (Mom, Dad & 3 kids) and Ruth Thomas came around 1:30.  Kristi Fletcher had brought extra goodies to be heated in the oven along with other things for her family to eat.  They are on a special diet to help their autistic son, so they can't have everything I made.  Doesn't hurt my feelings; you do what you have to do for your family.  Still, her butternut squash dish was really good.  And she made a chocolate pie with AVOCADO in it - you couldn't tell.  If anything, it had a very strong cocoa taste, which connoseurs of dark chocolate (yours truly included) would appreciate.  There was plenty of food.  We were supposed to have three more people, but they had sickness in their home and declined.  I generally don't like to list food, but I have to admit, we had a bounty, so here goes:

Turkey, 21 lbs.  (turned out so juicy - yum!)
Mashed Potatoes, & Jonathan gravy (he seasoned it, not jumped into it)
Bread Dressing (mine - just like Mom makes - hoorah!)
Kristi's Dressing (no bread)
Cranberry Sauce (Kristi made it with honey, it was good!)
Cranberry Jelly (canned stuff, but I still like)
White, Wheat, & Pumpkin-Cranberry rolls (from Bountiful Baskets)
Butternut Squash
Green Bean Casserole (not like yours - with real onions)
Flour-Less Gravy (for Fletcher's)
Sparkling Cider & Grape Juice (several flavors)
Pumpkin Pie (store frozen kind)
Pumpkin Pie (Kristi made)
Chocolate pie (the wild one with avocado)
Cranberry Cake with Pecan topping

To top it all off...we had the men do the clean up!  Though the guys had to leave at the end of dinner and come back to do it because they had to help someone in our ward with a car break-in problem.  It was actually kind of funny, because the police came and both Ken & Casey Fletcher (who've served Spanish-speaking missions) translated for them.  The police wondered why these two grown white guys were at a Hispanic woman's house and why they spoke Spanish.  

Anyway, they cleaned up, Ken went to work at Wal-mart (on purpose, he wanted holiday pay), and we sat down and played games.  I think my company finally left around 9:30 at night.  Everyone had a good time, I think, though my kids were a little disgruntled about having to clean up their rooms after the Fletcher kids were done with them!  Oh, and Casey Fletcher, the dad, is so in love with Jonathan's rabbit - the rex.  He told his wife he wanted one when their dog died!

Friday, November 29, 2013
Today was Recuperate From Thanksgiving Day.  Other than laundry, I didn't exert myself to do much.  I am not a Black Friday shopper (it sucks the Spirit out of Christmas), but I did take Analiese to some of the local businesses to look at their Christmas decor.  One store was fun with different-themed trees.  Analiese liked the Peacock tree (blue) and I liked the Oklahoma tree, that had all sorts of animals, cowboys, horses, covered wagons, etc.

I even got in a nap!  Analiese said the day felt like Saturday.  I could have made them do some lessons, but I didn't feel like pushing anybody to do anything.  So sue me.

Saturday, November 30, 2013
There are still some small pockets of snow here and there, mainly where there's shadow and no sun.  The south fence in my back yard has a small ribbon, the planters in my front yard has some (the house shades is nearly all day) and Jonathan's snow fort still stands, though it is shrinking.

The elders are getting beef stew tonight with leftover rolls, pie, and cake from Thanksgiving.  Good thing Elder Vance told me he loves pie!

Jonathan & I went with Elder Vance & Elder Crosby to visit a woman they're teaching this afternoon.  She wasn't at home.  So we went a few houses down to visit someone else they'd been teaching.  She wasn't available.  Then we went to the home of the Spanish-speaking lady I had interpreted for in church a few weeks back.  We spoke to her and her husband (well, Elder Vance & I did, Jonathan & Elder Crosby dozed off) and found out that three of their nine children are members of the church.  They've had missionaries visiting them for years.  So the question is...why aren't they?

Sunday, December 1, 2013
Last Sunday was really like a vacation for me.  Why?  Because this Sunday:
1. Sacrament Meeting - Chorister, with the bishopric asking me about music changes.  I only did what the chorister, who's out for surgery, told me to do.  Ay!
2. Sunday School - SS Class Pres.  Got my prayers, no biggie.  But I also had to interpret for a Spanish-speaking sister, Rosa.  I can't really complain because we've been trying to get her to stay for all the meetings.
3. Relief Society - Pianist.  Again, it's my job, no biggie.  More interpreting for Rosa and her daughter, Nasly.  I am not sure what the Lord is trying to tell me.  A sister in our ward is amazed at what I can do.  I'm amazed I'm still standing.

After church, I went back with the elders to the Cruz's (see yesterday).  I invited Nasly, who is going to be baptized on Christmas, to come along.  Good thing, too.  Not only does she speak Spanish (not much English, though), but she's quickly gaining a testimony and was eager to bear it.  The discussion went well.  She wants to serve...well, we gave her the opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment