Sunday, February 12, 2017

HE'S GONE!

Monday, February 6, 2017
Today is family day only. No library, no Taco Bell. It's Jonathan's day to wrap (pack) things up and for us to assess any last-minute issues. We are still waiting, too, for his travel plans. I do NOT like last minute! (Kind of an Anxiety thing)

We're having a nice family dinner tonight. Ken and Jonathan had already been shopping for the items and - true to men shopping - they picked up a couple of boxes of a cool-sounding pasta mix, only to find out that it's pasta salad. We shall see how much they like it tonight.

The travel information did not come in the mail; serious panic is beginning to set in (for me, at least). We called missionary travel and the gal emailed it right away. He's definitely going to the Guatemala City CCM (spanish for MTC). What a relief! Now to be ready.

We had dinosaur (like, seriously, Fred Flinstone-sized) steaks for Jonathan's "last meal." Accompanying that horrifying amount of meat was the pasta salad, a Caesar salad that he requested, the homemade blueberry pie and ice cream. I don't think I ate 1/4 of my steak. Jonathan - who's steak was a whopping 2 lbs - ate all of his!  I think he's afraid he's going to starve!

Tuesday, February 7, 2017
My little (?) brown bird flew away today. Not many things in my life have hurt as bad as this. I'm immensely proud - it took a lot to get him to this point But it also feels like someone has ripped out a chunk of my heart...and sent it to Guatemala! My only comfort is that he's on God's errand and will have divine protection.

We all got up around 2:15 a.m. and left at 2:30 to grab some breakfast and then off to Lawton. He didn't want to wait too long with us at the airport. I think he was nervous. So as soon as the TSA security opened up, he was off. In a haze of tears, I watched him pass and (physically) let him go. Then I turned and cried into Ken's chest for a while.
He's a little nervous, can you tell?




When the now three of us got home, Ken and took a needed nap. Then I tried to keep busy all day to quell the tears and fears. Ken kept track of his flights and luggage charges online; that was his way of expressing his concerns. Me, I went outside, planted onions, found earthworms in my garden box (hooray!) and discovered that my oregano recovering from winter!
32 onions planted

Oregano coming back - what a nice surprise!

Wednesday, February 8, 2017
My class this morning said they were surprised yesterday to find the bishop teaching and not me. I had kind of warned them this might happen, but I don't think it registered.

I was still pretty wiped up from yesterday, so I took another morning nap. I felt much more energized after!

Though, by mid-afternoon, I hadn't heard if Jonathan had reached the CCM. I learned (from a Guatemalan Missionary Moms Facebook Group) that there had been a helicopter crash yesterday at the Guatemalan airport and that had delayed some incoming flights. This had me hold off wondering...for a while.

Apparently, he arrived just fine. He had emailed Ken - and not me - at 6:45 a.m., but Ken didn't see it until 4:45 p.m. and I didn't hear about it until 7:00 p.m. when I had my break at work. Great, it was on my mind nearly all day!

*NOTE* Guatemala's time zone is the same as ours - Central. Just in case you were wondering. I think it's great.

Thursday, February 9, 2017
My visiting teachers were coming over this morning, so I spent a good portion of that time cleaning the livingroom. You can imagine the chaos it was in from neglect because of all of the preparations that had gone into getting Jonathan ready. Also, I was trying to get ready to make cookies for the library and the sisters, who are coming to dinner tomorrow. I didn't have enough brown sugar but since I live across the street from a grocery store, I ran quickly there and back...in time to see my VT sisters at my front door.

To be honest, the cookies didn't go great, though. I was using a different recipe than I had in the past and the dough seemed so dry (to be honest, I could have messed something up, being so distracted and trying to double it). I couldn't make balls out of it, so I made them into bars - two pans worth. I think one was a little overdone; not burnt, just crispy. But I did put in dried cranberries and walnuts in them...yummy!

Friday, February 10, 2017
I had my first real set of tears for Jonathan (since Tuesday) this morning as I was sorting laundry. There were his clothes from Monday and his pajamas (sweatpants and a t-shirt). Last little reminders of the boy who left to become a man...

Ken took me to lunch as an early Valentine's celebration. We went to La Plaza because I wanted chicken flautas with queso. Poor dear, he let me choose and doesn't really care for Mexican (beyond TB), but was satisfied because they had a bacon cheeseburger on the menu.

I've been allowing PomPom to run around the hall that connects the bedrooms and the front bathroom. This makes her happy and she binkies around and around. She's so short and stubby, it's funny to watch. Sometimes it's like someone picked her straight up and dropped her down; sometimes her front goes up and the back end just kind of drags on the ground!  But I really know she's happy, relaxed, and feeling safe when she completely flops on the ground to rest (after a binky binge). I love to see her creamy belly sticking out!
She's not sad, sick or sleeping. She's flopped...very content!

The sister missionaries came to dinner. I only had made my simple burritos, but they were happy with them (as was Analiese). They also liked (or so they said) my experimental oatmeal cookie bars.

Saturday, February 11, 2017
I dropped Analiese off at the EXPO Center for the Rabbit Show before going to work this morning. She's not showing a rabbit this time (though she ended up winning 2nd place on the Rabbit Quiz - nice medal, too) and I'll be picking her up on my lunch break. Then she'll get ready for the OKC dance while I go back to work.

YIPPEE!! Starting after President's Day, I'll begin training to be a cataloger in the back of the library. Only one more working hour, but I'll have a good increase in pay!

The New Girl doesn't want me to "leave" her, but I'll be working pretty much the same hours. In fact, in the beginning, I'll spend a couple of extra hours each day training in the back while keeping my regular front hours. That is, until they hire my replacement and the ladies I'm replacing leave (last days are the 8th and 9th of March). New beginning, more changes - for good or bad, that's what life is all about. And New Girl is smart and confident, she'll survive.

It was rough tonight, being all by myself after work. Ken worked until late and Analiese was off to OKC for her first dance! I did the stupids, ordering pizza and putting on a tear-jerker movie. Pretty soon I had to let the bunnies out to try and console me and make me laugh (they did pretty well). But I am not sure I will like being an eventual empty-nester!

Sunday, February 12, 2017
One of my poor students got braces this week. I can tell they're uncomfortable. He's learning to speak around them, which is its own sort of clumsiness!

After the sacrament was passed today, no tall young man came to sit next to me on the pew. No, there were no tears. Just a large, heavy, sad sigh (which Analiese said she noticed). Yeah, it hurt.

Ken wasn't feeling to great (his turn now) to start out with this morning, so after sacrament meeting, I took him home. That left just me and Analiese for the remaining meetings. Relief Society was great...and it wasn't just the See's candy the teacher brought into class. We were talking about President Hinkley and Happiness and we had a great discussion. But the chocolate was nice, too. After class, as the ladies were lining up for it, I commented loudly, "Endorphins!"

It is VERY windy today. The reports say (at least) 40 mph. I believe it, too. It's gusting, rattling, and whistling around the house. It sounds so eerie!

1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine what your feeling Sis, but my love is with you. I will keep Jonathan in my prayers daily - as well as his mom.

    ReplyDelete