Sunday, September 18, 2016

NEW NEIGHBORS

Monday, September 12, 2016
Things have definitely cooled off.  Hooray!  I'll take it as an early birthday present.

Analiese came with me to work today because her EPIC teacher was going to be there. She'd had some struggles with the software and curriculum expectations last week as she began her school year. She just needed a little help and direction. He managed to put her (which put me) at ease.

I took her home at lunch time, along with a couple of paper plates filled with food. The Literacy Council had a thank-you luncheon in one of the library meeting rooms and, since they had tons, they invited us to come get some after they were through. They had catered some barbecue from Billy Sims... I knew Jonathan would love that, surgery or no surgery. On top of that, many people brought salads and sides and someone brought the most lucious almond cake that I must get the recipe for!

Tuesday, Septmber 13, 2016
Ken had his only day off this week today. I really hope he's gotten enough rest. He will need it to survive the following days!

The skies are threatening rain again. There's a light layer of thin clouds up high, with ponderous, puffy ones below. From time-to-time, a boom of thunder makes its point. No water, for a while, at least.

But it did rain this evening some while I was at work. The lights in the library flickered a time or two and my boss had us turn off half of the computers just in case of power failure. Apparently, this is a procedure that is pretty standard around here!

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 
Today's Seminary lesson included the cursing of the fig tree. I got to use my artistic (?) talents once more with a tree drawing, upon which the kids suggested what the fruits (of righteousness) should be on our "trees." I couldn't bear to erase my art if I didn't at least take a photo of it.

I had to go to Dollar Tree today for a birthday balloon for one of my students. Her birthday is tomorrow. I should have taken a picture. It was a blue square with animated candles on it. Blue's her favorite color, I know she'll love it.

The sister missionaries came over this afternoon with two of my new neighbors from two doors down. One is newly baptized and the other is investigating. I welcomed them, gave them some job suggestions, and offered them a ride to church for Sunday.

Thursday, September 15, 2016
The kids were super squirrely in Seminary this morning. I think it is because they don't have school tomorrow. Either way, their attention span was pretty short and I had to keep reeling them back in to the lesson!

The library was super-dead today. Everyone, except a lone person at the copy machine, was out by 8:30 p.m. There was no rush to leave, and I had the luxury of the time to get everything done and shut down.

Friday, September 16, 2016
No Seminary this morning, no work today. A morning to take things at a little easier pace. A little. Still, it's Friday and it's my get-stuff-done day!

I went shopping mid-day at Walmart and saw my old Hallmark boss working with my replacement. Just in time for the holidays...good luck!

My afternoon was filled with working on Seminary. No surprise. When I took Jonathan to work at 5, Analiese came with me. We went to Dollar Tree and Walmart (again) to do a little costume brainstorming and shoe-shopping for a growing girl. We had a lot of fun planning for both of us (cuz I'll need a costume for work on Halloween!).

By the way, in Oklahoma, we know it's fall because you start seeing orange everywhere. No, not pumpkins. OSU shirts and stuff.
Yes, OU is there, too, with it's crimson red,
and together you know it's football time. I was trying to look for an orange t-shirt - Halloween, blank, but all I could find was emblazoned with OSU and Pistol Pete. Football is very important, 'round here.

This evening I actually baked something. I haven't had time in a while. I had lots of overripe bananas so I made muffins and put dried blueberries in them. Better than raisin or craisins! Yum!

Saturday, September 17, 2016
The library was quiet again. Oh, except the power flicker which turned all of the computers off (15+ at my last head count) and we had to restart them all. And...the hunter education class, with it's A/V needs that I knew nothing about and had to call an off-duty library person to come help. Still, it was pretty quiet. 

One of the nice things about working in the library is that I'm finding new books all the time that I want to look at, at the least and devour at most. I even take books home for the kids that I think they'll like. Analiese was thrilled today when I brought home the newest Harry Potter-like book. It had been through several holds, but we'd finally gone through them all...and I snagged it for her!

Altus & the Air Force were on the map today as a C-17 did a flyover for the BYU home game today.
How do I know? (Cuz you know I don't know diddly about football and BYU stuff). Because four members of my ward were on that plane...our bishop, one of his counselors, and two of the Elders Quorum presidency.
Our bishop is a HUGE BYU fan (and alumnus) and I guess had this in the works for over a year now, getting permits, scheduling, etc. The wives all stayed home, but did their duty of posting it. I'm just passing these pictures on.
Our bishop, on the left with his hand up and a huge grin, cracks me up!

Sunday, Septmber 18, 2016
Surprise, surprise! No bishop or first counselor (or EQ presidency) here today. Hmmmm. LOL

We took our two neighbors with us to church. They are nice and funny. I'm glad to have someone so close by to talk with. I know my neighbors next door a little (the cat people) and on the other side, not so much. New friends are always welcome!

This afternoon, preparing for tomorrow's Seminary, I got to play in the mud! Yes, I did. My kids always wonder why I am doing weird stuff and usually the answer is, for a Seminary lesson. I went outside and - since we had a rainstorm last night - I easily found a little mud and put it in a paper bowl. I took it into the house where I (made a mess) added a little water so the mud would spread as needed. Tomorrow's lesson talks about the inner and outer vessels being clean or dirty. So I smeared mud on the inside of one cup, on the outside of another,
and left the third one clean. Which one would you drink out of? Frankly, it was fun to be able to be like a kid again and mess around in the mud! Can't wait to see the kids' faces tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment