Monday, February 10, 2014

CRAZY WEEK

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 2014
I just noticed that I forgot to add Sunday to last week's blog.  So here's the rundown:

Went to church - was a 3-meetings/3-responsibilities again.  Chorister - SS Class Pres - RS Pianist.  Same old.  No, really, church was nice.  Had great discussions in Sunday School and RS.

Had Eagle Court of Honor photos done this evening.  Took about 2 hours to get the stuff set up, the three boys cooperating, and all said and done.  Got home, ignored the dishes in the sink, and went to bed.

Monday, February 10, 2014
Wal-Mart fun experience today was a lesson in parking in the snow.  Not for me, I tend to go to a spot wherein lies no ice nor snow (that could turn into ice).  Nope, saw a pickup that some guy (I only assume it was a guy because it seems like a dumb thing a guy would do) decided to park up a snow pile in the Wal-Mart parking lot.  Here it is:

I wondered if he'd be able to get off it.  But apparently he had no problems, because afterward my shopping excursion the pile was truck-less.  Must have had 4-wheel drive.  Still, I would have thought it  a gamble.

I attempted to poison my daughter tonight at dinner.  But she bravely resisted all attempts to ingest it and valiantly defended her position, crying and loudly denouncing my wicked ways when she was banished to her bed.  Apparently an hour is not enough time for her to "get up her courage" and eat a teensy strawberry and a minuscule blackberry.  Foul things, those!  

She never even got to dinner, which was a ham & asparagus quiche.  Bountiful Baskets gave me two bunches of asparagus, so I actually made TWO quiches, and just froze one.  I am not a big asparagus fan, but it was good!  Here's the recipe:
http://weelicious.com/2012/05/14/ham-and-asparagus-quiche-a-simple-savory-pie/#_a5y_p=1146668

Tuesday, February 11, 2014
Let's just say Analiese was VERY hungry this morning.  I believe she had a good breakfast.  She's complaining of a sore throat, though.  I hope it's not trying to develop into anything that's going around.

I thought you'd all like to see how my typical weekday day schedule goes, for the most part:
Get Up, get showered, get dressed
Wake up Analiese (if she's not up already)
Breakfast, check the weather, today's schedule, email
DEAR (Drop Everything And Read - personal scripture study time) and Devotional
Flag Salute, Family Hug (ask how much Jonathan likes that!)
Read to Analiese (currently "Little Men") - Jonathan has a tendency to listen in
Computer Study time for kids (Writing, Spelling, Grammar, Science, ACT - Jonathan)
Zookeeper duties (sweep, mop, refill food & water in bunny bathroom)
Clear dish drainer, do morning dishes
Help Analiese with lessons (History, Spanish, Math)
Work on needful projects (like today, making freezer chicken meals, dividing shredded cheese for freezer)
Lunch for kids (they really do their own), grab a bite to eat
Take Jonathan to airport for Aviation Mechanics
Errands as needed
Work with Analiese more
Home chores, dinner prep
Pick Up Jonathan
More dinner prep
MWF - Water Aerobics
Dinner, dishes
Whatever evening stuff I have to deal with (Yoga, Scouts, 4H, Mom & Me Time, etc.)
Get ready for bed (you know that's not a quick deal)
Lay in bed and try to sleep

Did I say I was lazy?

Oh, and tonight I worked at the 4H concession stand at the city basketball games.  Till 10 p.m.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014
I came to the conclusion today that the second week of every month is Crazy Week.  Why?  Because there are three 4H activities that always fall on this week (Sewing, Rabbits, Robotics/Legos), the monthly Relief Society Activity (on Thursday), and Garden Club (on Saturday).  This week is particularly crazy because we've had 4H concessions to run and the Rabbit Show is on Saturday.  I've also now made a mandate: no extra scheduling on Crazy Week.  No doctor's appointments, no VT, no other obligations...PERIOD.

Because what happens when I become overscheduled and overstressed?  I forget things: like my chiro appointment yesterday (which from now on cannot be on Crazy Week).  I hurt myself: I stubbed my left big toe and bent the nail back nearly half-way down (nail was too long, anyway, because I hadn't found time yet to get a pedicure).  And I am generally stupid: which I will not relate because it gets embarrassing.  Oh, and I get so, so tired and never seem to catch up.

Thursday, February 13, 2014
Another day, another wound. Putting away the food processor, I ran my middle finger of my right hand (guess which hand I use most?) along the sharp blade.  Not straight, no!  Zig zag!  Deep enough to bleed enough to make a mess.  Going through bandaids, here!

I had to make cookies today for sale at the concession stand at the Rabbit Show on Saturday.  Yes, I cleaned my wound and wore a bandaid!  I made peanut butter chocolate chip toffee cookies (Pinterest!)   Here's the recipe!  
http://backforsecondsblog.com/2014/02/soft-chewy-peanut-butter-toffee-cookies/

Friday, February 14, 2014
My hubby and my kids gave me cut flowers and a pot of yellow tulips for Valentine's Day (I'd said no candy), and a card.  I gave my hubby some cookies I'd saved over and a card.  Analiese got a pretty heart necklace & earrings and a card.  Jonathan got a t-shirt with a Marvel character on it that hed'd wanted...and a card.  Actually, I really liked the card I'd found for him.

This was true craziness, because I knew I'd be at the Expo Center all day tomorrow for the rabbit show.  I had to get everything done, including prep work for dinner with the missionaries, because they come every Saturday!

And we (stupidly) ask them if there is anything they want (or not).  One of the new elders asked for gumbo.  Gumbo!?!  Does he think we live in the deep south or something?  Besides, I'm from So. Cal., NOT Gumboland.  I really don't like Southern Cooking...things that should have flavor, don't and things that do are too spicy.  Plus, they either fry things or cook things to death.  Nasty!

But, I found a recipe (on Pinterest, of course) for a sausage and chicken gumbo - no shrimp, no okra (shrimp costs $ and has tons of cholesterol; okra is just plain disgusting - unfortunately it grows VERY well here).  I cut up all the veggies and meat for the morrow because, gratefully, this recipe is also a crockpot one!

I also had the dubious pleasure of cleaning up Alice.  Her pretty white head was a grungy yellow, having been "tainted" by the neighbor in the next cage, Twilight.  I will leave that your imagination.  Still, it wasn't pleasant to try and get all that gunk off her head and trim her nails in anticipation of the show tomorrow.

We were supposed to help set up tonight for the Rabbit Show tomorrow, so the kids and I headed out for the Expo Center at 4 p.m.  They'd already set up!  Oh well, at least we could register Analiese's rabbit early instead of tomorrow morning with the rest of the craziness.  I remembered (that I'd forgot) that I needed to bring nacho cheese sauce for the concession stand (I did remember my cookies), so I asked Ken to pick a can up from Walmart that night when he went to work.

We got to go home early and Ken brought us pizza home for dinner.  So nice to not have to cook!  For me, it was a fairly relaxing evening.

Saturday, February 15, 2014
Ken got my basket for me while I prepared the roux and the gumbo for the crockpot.  Because I'd doubled it (the missionaries EAT), my crockpot was full to near over-flowing.  I don't think you're supposed to do that.  Still, what choice did I have?

Off to the show!  Because we'd preregistered, we didn't have to be there until 10:30.  We had a great time, seeing all the different rabbits, talking with friends, and exchanging what we knew.  Analiese started off with completing a quiz about rabbits.  No joke, it's a pretty tough one; you have to know about body parts, breeds, breeding, etc.  She won third place in the junior division for her quiz!

They then had a showmanship workshop.   This is where they show the kids how to "show" their rabbit.  Showmanship is more about the presenter than the animal.  They have to be able to show that they know how to check on it's health and identify it's parts, and talk about the breed and what makes it special.  Then each child presented their animal to the judge.  Analiese did for the first time, and really enjoyed it.  The judge was pleased that she knew the correct term for her rabbit's body shape (cylindrical).  She didn't place, but is looking forward to doing better the next time.

During lunch break, they raffled off prizes.  I generally don't do raffles, but since the proceeds go to our club, I put in $10 for 25 tickets.  I gave the kids 5 each to put somewhere, and I put the last two into drawings for movie tickets & a butcher's shop GC.  Jonathan wanted to put his tickets in for a Flemish Giant rabbit (real) they were giving away, but I put my foot down.  I have all the bunnies I can handle.  Besides, these things are as big as most dogs and eat tons!  However, we did very well on our raffle winnings.  We won both the GC and the tickets, and Analiese won an M&M nutcracker (she likes nutcrackers).  It was $10 well spent! 

The afternoon was spent judging rabbits by breed.  We saw some really neat breeds that we hadn't enountered before, like Lion's Mane and Tan.  There were lots of babies to hold, too, which was fun.  We sat with the Dosher's so we got to see some of their babies again!

When the Himilayans came up, Analiese took Alice to be judged.  For the black-eared does, she won first place!  The judge said she had beautiful color and her shape was very good (those are the two things they look for in Himilayans).  Then they took all of the first place Himilayan bucks and does and judged them for best of breed.  A male one that, but tradition holds with awarding a 2nd place to one of the opposite sex - best of opposite.  Alice won best of opposite!  The best of breed goes on to be judged with all the other best of breeds (different types of rabbits) for best of show, so we didn't have to do that.  Still, Alice got a blue ribbon for first place black doe and a big purple and black ribbon for best of opposite.

By the way, dinner went fine.  The elders enjoyed their rice and gumbo.  I lucked out, finding a way to cook a large amount of rice in the oven, and had come home from the show with enough time to make an apple crisp (I had a lot of Granny Smith's in last and this weeks' baskets).  

Gumbo recipe: http://www.allthecooks.com/chicken--sausage-gumbo-crockpot.html

I stayed up late.  You could say, "naughty girl," but really I was up watching a webinar on garden planning to feed your family.   Tonight was the last night available to view it, so it was now or never.   It was important enough, but boy, did I pay the price!

Sunday, February 16, 2014
So, I was rather drowsy in church, sacrament meeting being the most difficult, even with the excellent speakers.  At least I didn't have any excess responsibilities.  I did, however, take a nap when I got home.  

Analiese stayed home today.  She was losing her voice and coughing yesterday, but did not want to miss the show.  Today, her voice gone and not feeling great, we had her stay home and rest.  I think it may be spreading, though, because Jonathan is sneezing, snuffling, and says his throat hurts.  We tried to miss it, but it caught us anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment