Sunday, July 7, 2019

BRING FORTH JULY!

What Makes America Great?
Within the last year, I've had some interesting experiences with people from other nations. I have learned so many wonderful things about them and where they come from. But I've also learned - from them directly or indirectly - why America is so wonderful.

Take Victor, who was in our home for such a short time, but continues to stay in our hearts. He was born in the Ukraine, but later moved to Russia. The reasons we thought he was here in the US were simple: he was a journalism student who wanted to study here. But, as it turned out, it was much more. He was a political refugee, in a way, having left Russia where his pro-American, pro-conservative, anti-Putin values had put him in danger. Here, he was able to continue his schooling, while representing the issues of the Russian press to the people of America and the world. Free speech and free press, things we take for granted here, are not known in Russia. Currently, he is in Washington D.C., enjoying all the wonderful experiences there and having a truly joyous Independence Day. He knows what that truly means!!

You knew I was going to talk about China, right? I love my kiddos (for the most part, see below), and I am fascinated by the culture and history there. I would love to visit China one day, partly for the sights, partly because I want to go hug my kids! But, as you know, China is even less free than Russia. As a teacher, I am not allowed to talk about religion or politics, which I get in part, but also, my faith is a big part of my life and I cannot share it. That makes me sad. Even more so, was the inability to be able to completely describe the 4th of July to my students. I said it by it's date, not it's true name, and was able to talk about it being a holiday that celebrates America's birthday. And about the fireworks and hot dogs. I was sad that I couldn't mention the real meaning of the holiday and why it was important to me. And while I'm sure a good bit of the adults have a better idea about America than I can express, the "cultural exchange" they are always talking about is really hobbled.

So, what makes America great? We are free! Free to talk, free to think, free to even disagree. I am thankful to be able to live in the land of Lehi's Promise. May we live righteously to ever maintain that freedom!


VIPKid Week
I had more outpourings of love from students this week. The best was from my little Rose (I'm using their names now. There are hundreds of thousands of students and plenty of repeat names. There is no way for you to know exactly who I'm talking about). She is a sweet, shy girl who started out rather disbelieving in her ability to speak English. I've been working hard to shore up her confidence (and increase her volume - she speaks very softly and has no microphone headphones!) She has been really blossoming (pun not intended) and is happier and less hesitant in our lessons. When I got her note, I nearly cried. I know it's probably a standard, push-button answer, but that she sent it...that was heartfelt.

Another note came from my crazy boy, Andy. He's the one who rolls off the chair laughing at me. Keeping him on track and not goofing all the time has been a challenge. But I know he likes me and he's doing well.

Other great students are Ivy (my exclusive who's had to become not-exclusive because I've been to busy to teach her as often as she'd like) who blows me kisses every time I see her. Then there's King (yes, King), who cracks me up (remember the shark comments last week?). He will explain absolutely everything he knows about the slide in front of him. Really, other than a little correction of pronunciation, I do very little. He reads and teaches himself. Quite proudly, too. I think he likes to show off for me!

Now, with my troublesome kids (WHY must they be regulars, too?), I've put my foot down this week. Shirley, my playful chatterbox, just wasn't cooperating...and booking me three times in a week! I made this sign
in very simple English that I know she can understand (she's a smart cookie) that I refuse to teach when she's misbehaving. It confused her at first, but I think she's catching on. Our second lesson with the sign had her cooperating better!

The other issue this week was Jojo, who books 3-4 times a week. Jojo is a handful in her own right, and clever, too. But when younger brother is added to the mix - all Chaos ensues. She did try, bless her, to lock her brother out of the room this last time. But grandpa pounded at her door until she opened it, smacked her, and yelled at her. Then he pushed brother into the room and closed the door. Yes, I saw the whole thing and it broke my heart. Brother, nonplussed, played and got in the middle of the lesson, scribbled on the screen and distracted his sister. This is no way to learn.

But that wasn't the worst in that lesson. At the end, he stripped from the waist down (the kid is only three, so I wasn't horrified) and I got to see all of his glory. Then he got his sister to leave her lesson and play with him. I tried to get them back, but at 25 minutes, I left. And then I issued a ticket. This is more than just feedback to the parents and the Learning Partner. This is telling the company that something is very wrong. Within a couple of hours they responded. They have spoken to the parents and the LP (hopefully this works because anything I've said has gone unnoticed) and deleted the video. I hope this means they've done more than just address the nudity. We shall see. Jojo is booked in the future!
My file box of lessons (not students) taught. Getting full!


New Neighbors
No, not humans. Not this week. Instead, all sorts of things have been making an appearance outside of the home. We've had lots of frogs and I've given up naming them (too many).
Analiese called him Skunk because of his stripe. Better this Skunk than the actual ones!
I invite them to fill up on flies and "skeeters". Also, I think we had a katydid that hung out all afternoon Saturday on my back window screen.
Ken, out doing yardwork one day, spotted a cottontail bunny, but it ran off before we could document it. We are near a wooded area, so these critters are not unheard of. There have been plenty of butterflies, as well, with their pretty, fluttering wings. And the birds are a colorful show. On the 4th, on the way to the Branch BBQ, Analiese and I spotted an oriole! That yellow is so amazing! Plus the scissortails and kingbirds are out flashing their colorful selves as well. Plus, our summer evenings have been featuring fireflies, too. Despite the heat, summer can be so interesting!


Pom's widdie bunny butt. And all the poos.






No comments:

Post a Comment