Sunday, September 8, 2019

Study-o-saurus

Study in the morning, Study in the evening, Study at suppertime...
It feels like all I do is study.
Study for Seminary.
Study for VIPKid.
And now...study for tutoring.

Studying for VIPKid is usually not difficult, especially when I've taught that particular lesson before. The only ones I really have to do a lot of prep for now are level 4, because it's a new level. Most levels 1-3 I've already done most, if not all, of the units and lessons.

Studying for Seminary, well, that has taken up time, mainly because I am going deeper into the scriptures, reading footnotes, and reading up on "Jesus the Christ" by James E. Talmage. A lot of extra thinking is going into them, along with extra prayers. It probably takes up the majority of my study time.

But tutoring is brand-new. I don't have a set curriculum, and - depending on how the assessments go - I have to figure out how and what to do. I would like to work along with the student's assignments for school, but school has barely started. So I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants here. I spend a lot of time on the internet and Pinterest, looking and thinking. This one makes my brain hurt.

Tutoring
Oh, my! I've tutored English before, no problem. My first student through EPIC is another story. Why do I always get the hard ones? This kid is autistic (highly functioning, thank heavens), has ADHD and possibly ODD. His problem is writing and it's mostly because he doesn't care and doesn't want to. Ay ay ay!

It is going to take all of my tricks and powers of persuasion to get him going. I've had an initial consultation and an assessment. Now comes the hard work. The poor mom is at the end of her rope. She pulled him out of public school because he wasn't getting the help he needed and she's still working to get EPIC to get him help. I am not trained for all the special ed/disability stuff.

VIPKid
Classes have gone way down, mainly because Seminary has taken the place of most morning classes. I can try and fit in an 8 and 8:30 a.m. class, but that will be ending soon. The Ministry of Education in China doesn't want children having extra classes/lessons after 9 p.m., Beijing time, on weekdays. This restriction began with new students in September, and my old students will be affected come November. So I'll only have weekends and evenings, except on holidays (in China).

I've had a lot of fun with my little ones in level 1. Emma is a spunky kid: she loves to say "I'm a boy!" She also sings the alphabet all mixed up - on purpose! Her mom speaks English, so Emma is already pretty good. Oh, but she hates to say goodbye! "No goodbye, teacher!" I nearly want to cry. She just loves class!

Amy is another level one. She's just a sweetheart and will do whatever I tell her. She giggles at my funny faces. She is very smart!

I have a newer student, Ricky, who's only seven, but already in level 3. He's so cute! He can read very well and his pronunciation is great! When I first greet him he says, "I'm very well, teacher. How are you today?" Knowing I'm going to teach Ricky always makes me smile.

There are other students, some okay, some not-so-great. But the good ones make up for them all. I get excited when I know they are coming up. I love thinking what I can do to reward them. For instance, I know Abby likes Hello Kitty. Her stuffed Kitty always comes out at the beginning of class and talks for her! I like to use online Hello Kitty rewards. This week, I found a Build-a-Pizza with Dino reward. All my kids loved that! They know what pizza is!

Seminary
Of course, these kids are great. In our small branch, I know all of them, even the newer ones, pretty well. One is a good friend of Analiese's. She is wry and funny and is quite tease-able.

This week, we had a three-way birthday cake: for two students who's birthdays were in the summer and a third student who's birthday was today (Sunday). I made chocolate with chocolate frosting... can't go wrong there! Analiese was affronted that I used a cake mix and canned frosting. Surely, I could have put it some creativity (Ken's birthday cake - Earthquake cake - was amazing!) I promise you this...when HER birthday rolls around, she may not appreciate the "creativity" that goes into her cake!  LOL

This week we've talked about miracles and parables of Christ. Friday, I had them draw out the parable of the sower/the four soils. They love doing it, and I think it helps the imagery and symbolism hit home better. I did it the last time I taught New Testament and it went over great. No exception here!

Everything else in between
Let's see, a new young lady has entered our life. Her name is Allison and she's a fairly new convert to the church. She goes to USAO and is a math major (she offered to help Analiese with math if needed!) Jonathan thought she should be invited to go to the YSA ward in Norman, so we had her come to dinner with the missionaries on Thursday so he could meet her and they could talk about it. She's cute and he got shy, but the next day she asked me for his number so they could text and arrange Sunday.

After church on Sunday, he brought her back to the house, where she stayed until 9, playing games and enjoying our company. Monday, Ken had invited her, for Labor Day, to come and enjoy smoked beef (a new experiment). She did and stayed again until 9, playing Magic with Jonathan. He took her back to the dorms...and asked her out!

They went out Saturday, went to church together again today, and are going out next Saturday. He was such bundle of nervous energy Saturday and so excited. I guess she was excited, too, because the sister missionaries knew all about the date from her! I try not to say anything, but Jonathan says he can see the mischief in my eyes. Hey, I'm happy he's getting some experience. He took her to dinner and then they looked at stars in the park. Next week, it's a picnic dinner at the lake!
Pretty Pink Crepe Myrtle, just outside my front door!

No comments:

Post a Comment