Sunday, November 4, 2018

COLOR-FALL

New Traditions
My family really enjoyed Disney's movie "Coco." I, in particular, was inspired by it. Yeah, I cried; it's a very mushy movie. But also very family-centric. I've had strong positive feelings about Dia de los Muertos for years. I think it's a more positive, sacred holiday that Halloween and I'd love to replace the latter with the former. I think DdlM is a wonderful way to think about our ancestors and encourage family history.

Analiese and I had been plotting this for weeks: we were going to do a FHE about family with a DdlM flavor (can't you see I hate retyping big strings of titles?). So we set up a small "ofrenda" (not really an altar, just a memorial) in our living room and dedicated this first FHE DdlM attempt to my paternal grandparents: Niles and Alma Carr.
Small picture in the center of the black tissue is Grandma & Grandpa. It was all I had.
A traditional Mexican "ofrenda" has several crosses on it. I decided that we'd have pictures of the risen Savior instead, representing our hope and faith in the Resurrection and the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I also put a few things representing things about my grandparents on it - popcorn (Grandma loved it in spite of her dentures!), fabric for her sewing all the time, and fake roses to represent Grandpa's love of roses and gardening. We had peach cobbler for dessert which was something Grandma would make purposefully for me if she knew I was coming to visit!

We spent the evening reading out of a book that was published from interviews taken of my grandparents before their passing. We talked about the memories we had (Ken had some, but most were mine) and laughed at some of the fun things we learned. It was one of the sweetest, spiritual FHEs we'd had in a long time! 

So we're resolved to do it again, but we'll research more (and longer) with a different ancestor(s).
Also, it's made me realize that this blog is part of my personal history and so, from time to time, I'm going to do a little PH sections from my past to make sure its included in this record. Also, it gives my parents and siblings an opportunity to read it, correct me on anything, and HOPEFULLY add to those stories. We all have had rich life experiences to tell and they should be told.

PH: In My Beginning
My parents were supposed to have wed in September of 1966, but the Vietnam draft came in for Dad, so they were married on May 14, 1966 in the Los Angeles, California temple. After a short, sweet honeymoon and establishing their home life, Dad was off to basic training in New Jersey and Mom was adjusting to being an army wife. Her in-laws, according to reports, took good care of her in Dad's absence.

Somewhere, in the back-and-forth of training, leaves, etc., they managed to conjure (like it was magic, ha!) me. By the time I was ready and ripe for harvesting, Dad and Mom were somewhat settled in Monterey, California on the Fort Ord Army base. I made my appearance September 19, 1967 in the army hospital. Certifiable Army brat.
Here I am! Ta-Da! On the right, I thought I'd get you a photo of Dad in uniform. Handsome!
To be continued...

Halloween in Chickasha
I'd been planning to do something fun for my Seminary kids for Halloween for a while. Not too much, I'm poor, plus I didn't want to take away from the Spirit of the class. So we did cocoa - three flavors to choose from: Regular, Mint, and Pumpkin Spice - with ghost or pumpkin marshmallows. I have one student who adores milk in all its forms and he was ecstatic! 


I tried some of the pumpkin spice cocoa when I got home. Okay, not my favorite, but definitely in the spirit of things!
The rest of the day was uneventful. We watched "Hocus Pocus" in the evening and had our porch light on, candy ready. But we didn't get any trick-or-treaters. We're in a secluded area, so I didn't expect any, but I was prepared. Most kids go off to the affluent areas plus every church in town has some sort of activity that they can load up on candy and goodies. I guess it's safer, but it sure is different from when I was younger!

LEAVES IN ALL THEIR GLORY
Altus was a drier area with fewer trees. Some did change color, and I loved to see it. Here, it's been
a glorious display of every color imaginable. I will forbear talking more about it and just show you:







This is Big Ol' Oak in our backyard. Not terribly colorful, but he's busy dumping a truck-load of leaves!


The park is beautiful!

My favorite, on the USAO campus. My picture does not capture the amazing depth of the orange glowing from it!
More pics
It was just a plain old week, really. But here's our documentation of the life of it!
Pom, the climber, on top of my desk, looking out at the yard.

I swear, she thinks she's a parrot. Yes, she put herself there!

Look who absconded with my phone!

Rockin' the leather jacket.



No comments:

Post a Comment